Doctor table

Which Service is right for YOU?

Do you need to see a GP?

Are YOU or someone you know feeling unwell?

Very often we don't need to see a GP , many common ailments do not require a GP for resolution and there are often quicker and better options available. Other choices of Health care professionals  may be able to help you obtain the best treatment for you. 

NHS 111 Wales

NHS 111 Wales is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and can be accessed online or by calling the phone number '111'  using a mobile or landline phone.

The NHS 111 Wales website provides a range of information on health conditions and illnesses, a symptom checker and guidance on who you can contact for the right care.

If you call NHS 111 Wales, a call handler will assess your condition and provide you with healthcare advice and information.

In Cardiff, if your health condition is urgent, but not life-threatening, then you should phone 111 first before attending the Emergency Unit (often known as A&E), the Minor Injuries Unit or to access care out-of-hours. 

​Primary Choice  is a new campaign to help members of the public choose the right health advice available in the local community.  By making the right Primary Choice means your GP can spend time with the most vulnerable, complex and very ill patients.

USW Health Service

Our nurse-led service can help and advice you.

We can help you register with a local GP or decide which service you need. If the USW Health Service cannot help with your issue consider the services below:

If you don’t know which option to choose, please contact NHS 111 Wales on 111 or alternatively check your symptoms with the NHS 111 Wales Symptom Checker

NHS Direct Wales is a health advice and information service available 24 hours a day, every day.

Ring NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47 

Your local pharmacy can help you Choose Well -

Many pharmacies now provide a range of services which can be accessed throughout the week .  Pharmacists offer this as part of the  Free common ailment advice and can sometimes arrange for a prescription for you without seeing a doctor. This can include services such as emergency contraception or needle exchange facilities.

Please check with your local pharmacy whether they offer this service.

For further information on local pharmacy opening times please go to the Pharmacy Search facility.

Contraception and sexual health clinics

Sexual health services are available FREE in your local area.  Please check your local clinic for information regarding appointments

You can find details of where your nearest sexual health clinic is here or phone NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47

Free condoms -  Public Health Wales offer a free C-Card scheme to under 25's .  USW are part of this scheme, to request condoms please book an initial Nurse appointment (telephone ) to register for the scheme after this you can order free condoms via the postal service on Frisky Wales 

See Free Condom Scheme for alternative schemes

Emergency contraception - If you are under age 25 this is available from most pharmacies FREE.  Alternatively contact NHS Direct, your GP or any integrated sexual health clinic

New Test and Post pilot service for STI testing

You can take a test for Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea and/or a test for HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C in your own home. Order a FREE testing kit.

The USW Health Service can help you register with a local GP, or you can use a postcode search to find one directly.

Your family doctor (GP) is responsible for providing care to you during normal working hours, that is Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.30pm (excluding bank and public holidays).

GP Out of Hours Services provide health care for urgent medical problems outside normal surgery hours. This service is available for urgent medical situations but not for emergencies.

If you need urgent medical care which cannot wait until your GP surgery is next open contact the GP out of hours service for the area you are living in or alternatively contact  NHS 111 Wales

If you have a medical emergency, a critical or life threatening problem you should call 999

If you have an open wound which may need stitching/dressing, you should go direct to your nearest Emergency (A&E) Department or Minor Injury Unit (MIU), or if it is an emergency call 999.

Your dentist is able to see you for the following: preventative toothcare and oral hygeine, toothache, tooth abscess, bleeding gums etc.

If you need to register with a local NHS dentist, please make contact with the right team depending on where you are living (not studying).

Newport – 01633 744387
Treforest – 01685 351366 or email [email protected]
Cardiff – .029 2044 4500 or complete this FORM to be added onto waiting list for Dentist allocation.

Please note – the Dentist is free only if you are under 19 yrs old.

Contact your normal dental practice first as most dentists offer emergency appointments on the day. 

If you are not registered locally with a dentist, or are experiencing severe dental pain during the evenings, overnight or on weekends or Bank holidays phone the dental helpline on:

Newport – 01633 744387
Treforest – 0300 123 5060
Cardiff – 029 2044 4500

Alternatively, you can phone NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47 for advice

Consult a University first aider for treatment and/or advice. For any medical emergency on campus call 01443 4 33333 and ask for a first aider.

Attend A&E only if you have an acute illness, chest pain or breathing problems or a painful injury less than 2 days old.

Your nearest hospital is:


Royal Glamorgan Hospital

Ynysmaerdy, Llantrisant, CF72 8XR.

Tel: 01443 443443


In Cardiff and Vale, you must call NHS 111 Wales first if you need to access the Emergency Unit or Minor Injuries Unit if you have an urgent, non-life-threatening emergency.  

By calling 111, a call handler will assess your condition and help you get the right help, at the right place, first time. Callers will receive health advice over the phone, and if further assessment is required, a clinician from CAV 24/7 will call you back.  

If you need to be seen at the Emergency Primary Care Centre (Out-of-Hours), or require assessment at the Emergency Unit or Minor Injuries Unit, our CAV 24/7 clinicians will arrange this for you if necessary.  

Remember, 999 is available and should only ever be used when there is a life-threatening emergency. So, if it is not a life-threatening emergency, use 111. 

If your medical problem is Life or Limb threatening dial 999

University Hospital of Wales
Heath Park Way
CF14 4XW.
Tel: 02920 747747

Barry Community Hospital Minor Injury Unit
Colcot Road
CF62 8YH
Tel: 01446 704000


The way you access the Emergency Unit has changed in Newport  

The Emergency department has now moved  to 

The Grange University Hospital.

Caerleon Road 

NP44 8YN 

Tel: 01633 493100 

The Grange University Hospital  - provides care for people who are seriously ill or have complex problems or conditions that cannot be safely managed at one of our Local General Hospitals.  

All Minor injuries should now go to  

Royal Gwent Hospital

Cardiff Road, Newport, NP20 2UB. 
Tel: 01633 234234 

Please note- there is no Emergency Department at the Royal Gwent Hospital. Life-threatening emergencies must go to The Grange University Hospital. 


Royal Glamorgan Hospital

Ynysmaerdy, Llantrisant, CF72 8XR.

Tel: 01443 443443

Dial 999 and ask for an ambulance for serious accident or life threatening illness only. Examples include severe chest pain, severe breathing problems, severe bleeding or unconsciousness.

Please note: If calling 999 on campus yourself and an ambulance is dispatched please remember to inform Security the location of the incident in order they can direct the ambulance to the correct place on campus  

An optician can see you for any acute eye problems such as itchy eyes, red eyes, conjunctivitis, bloodshot eyes and swollen eyelids.

Most opticians offer free emergency appointments under Eye Care Wales.  If you have any concerns at all about your eyes, see a high street optometrist (optician) straight away. They will tell you if you are eligible for a free eye health examination.

All adults over the age of 16 can self refer to a Physiotherapist without the need to see a GP 

This is a service for adults who have a muscle or joint problem (for example, neck or back pain, shoulder or knee problems, “tennis elbow” or ankle sprain).

Please click on the area below that you live in for the relevant information  and access the self referral forms

Cwm Taf