World Map

International Students Healthcare

International students can mostly access the USW Health Service or Other Healthcare Choices in the same way as UK students, but there are some special considerations:

National Health Service Registration

If you have paid the immigration health surcharge for your current period of immigration permission then you will qualify for free NHS hospital treatment on the same basis as anyone who is ordinarily resident in the UK. You must be pursuing a full-time course which is at least six months long to qualify. This is stated on the Welsh Government’s website.

Registering with a local GP surgery will allow you free NHS treatment.

Please register with USW Health Service online. When you have completed the registration form, make an appointment with us to discuss your medical history. It is important that you tell us about any illness or investigations you have had in the past. If you are receiving any treatment or are disabled as a result of a medical condition please bring information in English from your doctor at home.

If you move to a different area, you will need to re-register with a doctor.

To See a Doctor

You will need to register with a local GP surgery as soon as possible after arriving in the UK.  If you  are living in Pontypridd you are able to register with Ashgrove Surgery who provide appointments on campus.

Doctors do not always give prescriptions and may recommend medicine that you can purchase from a Pharmacy

Antibiotics are only prescribed for serious infections and not generally for illnesses such as sore throats and flu like illness.

Doctors in the UK do not routinely do blood tests unless there are symptoms to indicate that they are required.

If you need to be referred to hospital you will have to wait for an appointment to be sent to you in the post. This can take some months or longer in conditions which are not considered urgent.